Saturday, June 27, 2009

Yep...my chisels are sharp.

So, with Kimberly gone for the week, I decided I had better get some entertainment center work done this morning. While prepping some doors to be painted, I was using a chisel to scrape off some glue seep-out. Despite knowing better, I had my left hand in the path of the chisel.

You can guess what happened next: the chisel slipped, but my left hand was close, so the chisel stopped slipping abruptly when it hit my knuckle bone, sans skin. Fortunately, I'm fairly cool under pressure, so after a few choice words, I got some paper towels on the cut and stopped the bleeding in short order.

Now...I'm at home alone with three kids (one sick) and need to go to the ER. Ummmm....

Ethan helped me splint and bandage my finger. He also helped man the phone and get Aidan (who took this opportunity to get the marshmallows out for a snack) dressed and Owen with his sweatshirt to fight his fever-induced shivers. The Moore family was gracious enough to watch the boys. As we pulled up, Ethan had his look of "something bad is about to happen" as Owen threw up in his lap. Again, yeah for the Moores.

The ER was thankfully quick. After an xray and some poking and prodding (after some numbing), the doctor decided that I had cleanly severed a tendon and that was beyond emergency room care, in fact, beyond Provena care entirely. So, he stuck in a couple of stitches and wrapped me up. The most painful part of the visit was the anti-biotic shot on my butt. I think I was in the hospital for less than 90 minutes! I'll be visiting a hand surgeon at Carle Monday morning to have everything reconnected.

The in-laws came and brought the boys home for me and spent the afternoon keeping us company. We will all look forward to Kimberly's return tomorrow.

Not surprisingly, I will not be flying to Sunnyvale this Monday!

4 comments:

  1. I threw up in my lap just reading this. At least you can still type :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't call it typing. That post required a ridiculous amount of time to "enter." I'll likely require psychiatric help after an entire day at work, not being able to type.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see you're keeping up the ER trips while Kimberly is out of town. Too bad we don't live closer and Brett could be your personal doc. Sounds like you would be to pay our mortgage for us :) on a more serious note, sorry we aren't closer and able to help out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That just sounds like a BAD day. I hope all goes well with the surgery consult and all. Let us know if we can help watch any of the boys this week.

    ReplyDelete