Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Make The Itching STOP

I realize that everyone (except Kimberly) goes through this, but I'm going to moan and groan anyway.

Why, exactly, did God feel the need to put poison ivy on the earth?

Monday night I found myself itching under my chin a lot. Later, I was scratching my stomach. Later still I was scratching my upper arm. At that point, alarm bells went off and I decided to reassess the situation. Closer examination of these body parts revealed the tell-tale bumps with which I'm quite familiar. I seem to get some poison ivy just about every summer, but I've never had it in so many locations at once.

By Tuesday morning, I'd added my chest, lower arm, and my knee (front and back). This was alarming enough to get me to visit Convenient Care. The doctor agreed that it was weird to be so many places, but said he'd treat it just the same. I've never actually gotten drugs for poison ivy before, what fun!

As I write this, I think I've reconstructed the events. I was spreading mulch on Monday evening, and pulling weeds while I was at it. I thought I had gloves on most of the time, but not all the time. I then proceeded to either (a) scratch a lot, and/or (b) spread it all over in the shower. I've heard that a hot shower immediately after exposure helps the oil penetrate better.

All of the patches are small, and none is too annoying, but the sum is not fun. The lower arm is particularly annoying, because that's where my arm rests 70% of the day in front of my computer.

Next step: find offending plant, remove from children's path.

3 comments:

  1. At least you didn't get it on your private parts, like a friend of mine in high school. From what I understand it was not pleasant.

    I don't recall every having gotten Poison Ivy, and I don't think it's for lack of trying. Perhaps I'm immune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shy away from spraying toxic chemicals directly to my body...or did you mean the poison ivy? I have to find it first, then roundup is my preferred solution.

    ReplyDelete