Sunday, May 17, 2009

Welcome Back

to the land of monthly car payments. Kimberly and I drove to Indy yesterday to inspect and pick up our new (certified used) Honda Pilot. After driving several mid-sized SUVs last weekend, we decided that the Pilot was the way to go. Then, I discovered that Honda has a Certified Pre-Owned program. Our first Saturn was certified (our current Saturn is certifiably something-else) and we were always pleased with it. I spent the week seeking out the best deal over the Intraweb-thingy and was able to negotiate the Pilot for less than I expected. By negotiating entirely through e-mail, I was able to avoid awkward and silly moments of "Let me go talk to my manager."

New Pilot in driveway


Here are the technical details. It's a 2006 Honda Pilot EX-L (white with a gold pimp stripe) with about 40k (40,000 for non-engineers) miles. It has 4-wheel drive with leather interior and a sunroof. For the kids (and parental sanity), it has the DVD player as well. It's in beautiful condition. Because it gets about 2-4 miles more per gallon than the Jeep (when it was newer), we certainly deserve a tax credit! It has enough space that we could take this on trips if we chose. Did I mention that it fits in the garage?

The kids all immediately jumped into the third row and buckled themselves in.


While I haven't dealt with many of them, I can certainly recommend Ed Martin Honda in Indianapolis. They gave us a great deal (at least it seems as much), and they were quite polite and courteous when we actually met them in person.

1 comment:

  1. Nice choice, J & K! And I really like the white silos on top, in case you need to take provisions for a long trip - or feed the milk cows that you tie up to walk along with you for truly organic adventures!

    Joe's on his way to Orland Park as I type this to trade my miserable-choice-of-a-Nissan minivan for a Ford Flex. (I'll have to drive muy macho Magnum for a year until I find a car I like.) Alex and friends wanted to attend the Warped Tour in Tinley Park today and there was just no reasonable way for them to get there and back by bus, train, Metra in one day and still see the "good" [Ska] bands at the end of the evening - and I didn't think Uncle Matt wanted 5 teenagers at his place overnight, so Joe drove them all up for the all-day concert and will have about 12 hours free for negotiating a deal in person. The dealer can go home and have a long talk with his manager over dinner if needed to see if coming down $500 will bankrupt their 4000-car dealership.

    ReplyDelete