Saturday, February 27, 2010

Chainsaw Blessing

In February, as I was ready to cut up a fresh supply of firewood for my work shop, my McCullough chainsaw decided not to run. It would start but die when I gave it any throttle. After dismantling it (and kicking it) for about an hour, I gave up and decided to take it to a professional.

So, I stopped by Specialized Small Engine Service in Champaign. It's the little blue block building between the library and the Do-It-Best hardware store. The guy fiddled with it for about 2 minutes and decided the carburetor was probably clogged. He'd be happy to fix it for $80-$100. Having done my homework, I knew that new Poulan saws run for about $140. Add to that the fact that my chainsaw has only worked right about half the time since I got it.

Although his saws were priced higher than average, he offered a discount in exchange for my old saw -- deal. I paid about the same as the box stores, and I disposed of my old saw in an environmentally conscious manner. So, I wrote the guy a check, then he got out his service plan, which is outstanding. He charges $32 flat rate for repairs, and you get put at the front of his work queue. So, if the new saw gets a clogged carburetor, it won't cost $100 to fix it. He should have advertised his service plan sooner. There would have been even less thinking and more paying.

I highly recommend visiting this place if you have small engine needs. The guy was knowledgeable and friendly.

My new 16" Poulan saw is great. I just spent the better part of the afternoon with it trimming trees. It starts easily, runs great, and restarts easily. It also has a tool-free chain tensioner which is extremely useful when the chain comes off.


Here's my new saw atop the wood pile.

No comments:

Post a Comment